As more people choose cycling as a form of recreation, exercise, and transportation in the Nashville area, the injury and fatality rates for bicyclists, unfortunately, rise as well. According to the Tennessee Highway Patrol, 2018 saw 377 crashes between vehicles and bicyclists across the state, including eight fatalities and 344 serious injuries. There were 60 injury crashes in Davidson County alone that year. What can you do when you are the innocent victim of a careless driver? The first thing you should do is hire an experienced bicycle accident attorney.
We Will Put Our Experience to Work for You in Smyrna and Murfreesboro
Bicycle accidents are not like other traffic crashes and not every personal injury law firm will take a bicycle accident case. At Weir & Kestner Injury Lawyers, however, we fight for victims who were injured by the negligence or carelessness of others, no matter how the injury occurred. When investigating a bicycle crash, we understand that motorists cause these accidents in a variety of ways, including the following:
- Failing to provide adequate space. Motorists are required to give bicyclists room, whether there is a dedicated bike lane or not. When drivers fail to see bikes sharing their lane or refuse to move over when approaching a bike, and the cyclist is hit, the driver is at fault and should be held responsible.
- Speeding. Speeding drivers are not only less likely to see a cyclist on the side of the road or crossing an intersection, but they are also much less likely to be able to stop or maneuver out of the way in time to avoid hitting the bike.
- Driving while distracted. Texting, changing the radio station, setting a GPS unit, eating, and tending to children in the back seat are some common forms of distracted driving that can lead to a collision with a bicyclist.
- Driving while impaired. Just as distracted drivers fail to see bikes on the road, drunk and drugged drivers are often unaware of their surroundings and unable to react in time even when they do see a bicyclist. Impaired drivers are criminally negligent and may also be responsible for paying punitive damages to the victim.
- Failing to yield at intersections. Bicyclists must follow the same traffic laws at intersections as motor vehicles and should be treated like a vehicle by other drivers. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and cyclists are often hit in intersections by negligent drivers.
- Opening a car door without looking for cyclists. Often referred to as a “dooring” accident, this is a common way for cyclists to sustain injuries in urban areas. When a car is parked on the street, the driver and passengers should look behind them for cyclists before opening their door. When they fail to do this, they could open the door into the path of a biker, causing a catastrophic collision.
Cyclists suffer serious injuries in these kinds of accidents, including traumatic brain injury, spinal cord damage, multiple fractures, road rash, and lacerations, even when they are wearing the proper protective gear, such as helmets. Depending on the size and speed of the vehicle, cyclists can also be killed when they are hit by a car.
Damages You Can Recover With the Help of a Bicycle Accident Attorney
When you are seriously injured by a negligent driver in a traffic accident, you are entitled to recover compensation for your losses. However, the driver’s insurance company is not going to offer this money freely. Instead, the adjuster is likely to offer you much less than you deserve in the hopes that you will want to settle quickly and move on. Our attorneys understand how insurance companies work because they used to represent insurance companies. Now, they are committed to helping the victims of these devastating accidents recover the compensation they deserve, including the following:
- Medical care
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
As we fight for these damages for you, we’ll make sure you’re given the time and space to heal without being hassled by the insurance company.
Contact Weir & Kestner Injury Lawyers Today
Don’t wait another day to start fighting for the compensation you deserve. Protect your rights and call us today to get Smyrna’s top-rated bicycle accident lawyer. Proudly serving the cities of Nashville, La Vergne, Smyrna, Murfreesboro, Franklin, Chattanooga, and ALL Tennessee residents.