As the Nashville area continues to grow, the increase in traffic—even in the suburbs of Smyrna and La Vergne—is pushing many people to park their cars and walk. Unfortunately, the lack of sidewalks and safe crosswalks in many areas makes this a dangerous endeavor for pedestrians and cyclists. However, this is no excuse for drivers. When they fail to grant pedestrians the legal right of way, drivers can be held liable when their negligence injures or kills a person. If you or a loved one was the victim of a careless driver in Middle Tennessee, our pedestrian accident attorneys can help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Smyrna
Let’s face it—as a pedestrian you are always going to be vulnerable, no matter how careful you are about obeying traffic laws. After all, you are sharing space with powerful vehicles that are increasingly being operated by careless and distracted drivers. Some of the most frequent causes of pedestrian casualties in the Nashville area include the following:
- Distracted drivers. According to Tennessee Highway Patrol statistics, nearly 2,000 crashes in Davidson County were caused by distracted driving in 2018. When a driver takes his eyes off the road, hands off the wheel, or mind off the task of driving for even a split second, a crash can occur, and pedestrians are often the victims.
- Impaired drivers. Drunk or drugged drivers and pedestrians do not mix. When a driver is unable to judge distance, react quickly, and stay alert due to impairment, he is much more likely to hit a pedestrian legally crossing the street. Extremely intoxicated drivers have also been known to hit drivers on sidewalks and in pedestrian zones.
- Excessive speed. When drivers speed through residential areas or busy downtown districts, they are not able to stop or maneuver in time to avoid hitting a child chasing a ball or a pedestrian stepping into a crosswalk.
- Poorly marked or lit areas. Some pedestrian accidents are caused by the conditions rather than either the driver or the walker. When crosswalk markings are faded, or intersections are inadequately lit, pedestrian collisions are more likely to occur.
Our experienced team will gather the evidence you need to prove the driver’s negligence in the crash that left you injured or killed a loved one.
Serious Injuries Caused by Pedestrian Accidents
When a two-ton car hits a person on foot, the car always wins and the person is often seriously injured or killed. In our Smyrna law office, we have seen pedestrian victims with a range of serious injuries, including the following:
- Traumatic brain injury. Pedestrians are particularly vulnerable to head injuries when they are knocked to the ground by a car. Injuries can range from a mild concussion to permanent cognitive and motor damages.
- Paralysis. A spinal injury caused by impact with a vehicle can result in partial or total paralysis, requiring a lifetime of expensive therapies, medical interventions, and assistance with daily tasks.
- Broken bones. Fractures are a common result of pedestrian crashes and can be very serious. A broken pelvis, limbs with compound fractures, crushed vertebrae, and skull fractures can leave the victim with lifelong problems.
- Loss of limb. When a vehicle runs over a pedestrian, it can cause enough damage to an arm or a leg that it requires amputation.
- Emotional trauma. On top of the many possible physical injuries, a pedestrian crash victim often suffers emotionally from the violence and shock of the collision. He or she may need years of support and therapy to overcome the trauma.
All too often, these injuries prove fatal and the pedestrian loses his life. When that happens, our attorneys may be able to support survivors by filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the negligent driver. Do not allow carelessness and negligence to go unpunished. When you suffer serious injuries in a Nashville pedestrian accident, call Weir & Kestner Injury Lawyers.
Nashville Attorneys Giving You the Room You Need to Recover
When you are injured in a pedestrian accident, you need treatment and a stress-free environment to get better. We’ll make sure you get the time and space to heal without being hassled by the insurance company, and the maximum compensation you legally deserve for injuries, lost wages, pain and suffering, lost enjoyment of life, and impairment.
Don’t wait until it’s too late and miss legal deadlines. Contact Weir & Kestner Injury Lawyers today to ensure the protection of your rights. Call us for a free consultation to ensure you and your family are protected by our experienced attorneys.
If you live in Davidson, Rutherford, Williamson, or Hamilton County, call us today! We proudly serve the cities of Nashville, La Vergne, Smyrna, Murfreesboro, and ALL Tennessee residents.