Tennessee’s workers’ compensation program underwent a major overhaul in 2014, and changes have continued to be implemented almost every year since then. That is why it is so important to work with an experienced work injury attorney when you are injured on the job and unable to work. Workers’ compensation benefits cost employers, and they and their insurance company will go to great lengths to try to reduce these costs, including failing to inform you of your rights and denying valid claims. With an attorney on your side, however, you can be certain that you will meet deadlines, follow required procedures, and optimize your chance at getting the benefits you need and deserve. You have worked hard your entire life and have performed your job to the best of your ability. You deserve fair access to the benefits to which you are entitled when something goes wrong. The workers’ compensation attorneys at Weir & Kestner Injury Lawyers are here for you.
What to Do When You Are Injured on the Job in Tennessee
Workers’ compensation law in Tennessee dictates a very specific course of action when you are injured at work. It is often what you do in the first few days after a workplace injury that determines whether or not your application for benefits will be approved. If you have an accident at work—even if you don’t think your injury is very serious—we advise you to take the following steps:
- Report the injury immediately. If you are conscious and able to do so, it is important that you report your injury in writing to your employer right away. Any delay could negatively impact your case, including losing your rights to pursue a claim. Your supervisor is required by law to submit a First Report of Injury Form to your employer’s workers’ compensation insurer. The sooner this process is started, the sooner you could have access to benefits.
- See a doctor. If you are seriously injured and need immediate medical attention, you should call an ambulance or go to the closest emergency room. Otherwise, you must select an Authorized Treating Physician from a list of at least three doctors provided by your employer. You will fill out and sign a form naming your selection and that doctor will then provide the medical care needed to recover from your injury.
- Hire a lawyer. As soon as you have stabilized your injury and reported it to your employer, you should contact Weir & Kestner Injury Lawyers to discuss your options. No matter how simple your employer makes the process seem, it is anything but, and without legal representation, you may miss out on important deadlines and lose opportunities for the best possible treatment.
It costs you nothing to call us and ask how we may be able to help you. Don’t try to go it alone when you are suffering from a work-related injury. Our experienced legal team can help maximize your chances of being approved so you can get the benefits you need.
Benefits Available Under Tennessee Workers’ Compensation
When you are injured on the job in Tennessee and you are approved for workers’ compensation benefits, you may be entitled to receive the following:
- Medical treatment. Doctor visits, testing, and treatments approved by the authorized treating physician will be provided at no cost to you. If the workers’ compensation insurance company denies coverage for a doctor-approved expense, you will need the help of a qualified attorney to submit your request to the Tennessee Bureau of Workers’ Compensation Utilization Review Program for additional review and consideration.
- Travel expenses. If travel to approved treatment exceeds 15 miles in one direction, you may be reimbursed for your travel expenses.
- Wage replacement. Depending on how long you must be off work to recover from your injuries, you may be eligible for wage replacement benefits. Our attorneys can help you determine what you qualify for.
Don’t miss out on the benefits you need and deserve. Contact our office with any questions or concerns you may have.
How Weir & Kestner Can Help
Weir & Kestner Injury Lawyers help people who have suffered work injuries in getting medical treatment, obtaining payments for time missed, obtaining second opinions, and even forcing the insurance company to pay for treatment that has previously been denied. Throughout Tennessee, we’ve helped our clients get the results they deserve when injured on the job. Please contact us if you have been hurt on the job for a free consultation.